Each clan in East Ralios has an ability gained by an ancestral hero. Each year during Sacred Time the clan thane (with aid from clan members) reenacts the original heroquest that gained the ability. If he is successful, all adult clan members who were present can use the clan ability in the coming year. The thane can use it more often. Occasionally, the heroquest is unsuccessful, and the clan won’t be able to use their ability that year. The ability is always tied to a geas. A few clans have more than one heroic ability, and choose which heroquest to perform each year. People associated with more than one clan (wives and fosterlings) also choose which clan’s heroquest they want to participate in.
I suspect that these powers (and their often onerous geases) are pretty much restricted to East Ralios. However, in Lankst, King Kocholang’s clan has the ability to breathe fire, which is probably a vestige of the old ways still practiced in East Ralios. [Glorantha: Genertela Book]
- The Befiori clan power is Frighten Animals. They must eat no cooked meat in Darkseason.
- The Belovaking clan ability is Fireblood, which carries the geas never extinguish a fire. It allows them to heal their Honor in hit points. Their heroquest is against the Fire People.
- The Galdring clan ability is Yoke Riding, which carries the geas never attack from behind. It allows them to fight more successfully from a chariot yoke.
- The Jaskori clan ability is Earthskin, which gives them natural armor. Geas: Never cut down an oak tree.
- The Karbaring clan ability is Battle Shout. This intimidates opponents -- all must make a Valorous roll or be at -2 skill. This is not cumulative, but if two Karbarings shout, opponents must make two rolls. It carries the geas, never refuse a challenge in Damali lands. It was originally obtained by Narstav Antler-Helm.
- The Kortling clan’s hero power is Cat’s Walk, which carries the geas never kill a cat.
- The Melvori clan’s hero power is Throw (used when grappling), wich carries the geas, never bathe during Earth season.
- The Mokevogi clan’s power is Cobra Strike, which allows a first strike. The geas is to never own a cloak for longer than a year.
David Dunham Page East Ralios